Do you want to learn how to make a Lantern in Minecraft? Well, you’re in the right place.
In Minecraft, the night is the most perilous time of the day. Countless mobs might spawn and creep around you. If you want to survive in the dark, then a light source is a must.
A lantern can be used as a source of light. In this article, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of how to make a lantern in Minecraft and everything you need to know about this illuminating tool.
In this Article
What is a Lantern in Minecraft?
Lanterns are a type of light source in Minecraft that was added in version 1.14 of the game. They are decorative blocks that emit a light level of 15, which is the same as a torch, Glowstone block, or sea lantern. Lanterns can be used to light up dark areas in the game and add a decorative touch to structures.
Lanterns can be placed on the ground, on walls, or even on ceilings, and Redstone can power them to turn on and off automatically. They can also be used as decoration in builds and can be dyed by placing a lantern and the desired dye on a crafting table.
- 10 Best Armor Enchantments in Minecraft: Block and Defend
- How to Find Ancient City in Minecraft: A Roadmap to Uncovering Hidden Secrets
- How to Fix When Minecraft is so Laggy? Tips and Tricks for Smooth Gameplay
- 6 Best Boot Enchantments in Minecraft: Not Your Typical Fancy Footwear
- 8 Best Sword Enchantments in Minecraft
Don’t be confused with the regular Lantern and the Soul Lantern. The regular lantern is yellow and orange and has one of the highest light levels in the game. Meanwhile, a Soul Lantern is less bright and has a shade of blue.
How to Make a Lantern in Minecraft – Lantern Recipe
1. Gather the materials
Making a regular lantern is simple; you will only need to have a torch and 8 Iron Nuggets. If you want to make a Soul Lantern, then you need a Soul Torch. And of course, your good old crafting table is required.
2. Make a Torch
One of the required materials for a Lantern Recipe in Minecraft is a torch. So start making one by securing one stick and one piece of coal or charcoal. Begin by opening your crafting table, and placing the stick in the center box, and the coal or charcoal in the box directly above it.
This will create four torches. To use a torch, simply place it on the ground or on a wall. Torches emit light, making them useful for lighting up dark areas and preventing hostile mobs from spawning.
3. Get Iron Nugget
You can get Iron Nuggets by placing Iron Ingots in the crafting grid. One Iron Ingot equals 9 Iron Nugget(s).
Alternatively, you can smelt Iron items inside a furnace, and you’ll also be able to get your Iron Nugget.
4. Craft a Lantern
Now that you have all the materials, it’s time to get the crafting started. Open your crafting table and place the Torch in the center cell of the crafting grid. Then, place iron nuggets all around the Torch in all of the remaining cells.
This is the final lantern recipe, and you can drag it to your inventory to use it.
FAQs about Lanterns in Minecraft
How to use a Lantern in Minecraft?
Using a lantern in Minecraft is quite simple. Once you have crafted a lantern, you can place it on the ground, on walls, or even on ceilings. To place a lantern, select it from your hotbar and right-click on the block where you want to place it.
What are the uses of a Lantern in Minecraft?
Now that you know how to make a lantern in Minecraft, you have to learn the awesome uses of this illuminating tool.
- Provides a light source: Lanterns emit a light level of 15, which can be useful for lighting up dark areas and preventing hostile mobs from spawning.
- Decorative block: Lanterns can be used as a decorative block in builds, adding a unique touch to structures.
- Can be placed on walls and ceilings: Unlike torches, lanterns can be placed on walls and ceilings, providing more options for lighting in builds.
- Can be powered by Redstone: Lanterns can be powered by redstone, allowing them to be turned on and off automatically, which can be useful for creating lighting effects.
- Can be dyed: Lanterns can be dyed by placing a lantern and the desired dye on a crafting table, providing more customization options for builds.
- Can be used for wayfinding: Placing lanterns along a path can be a useful way to mark the way and prevent players from getting lost.
- Can be used for ambiance: Lanterns can create a cozy and inviting ambiance in builds, especially when combined with other decorative blocks.
Now you know how to make a Lantern in Minecraft. It’s fairly easy, but it’s quite a useful tool. So if you want to improve your crafting skills and knowledge, make sure you check out the MINECRAFT section of GameGrinds.
It’s a literal treasure chest, and you’ll find all sorts of tutorials, tips, guides, and everything Minecraft.