“Is my child safe from browsing various websites using the Chromebook?”
Now that Chromebooks are starting to become a staple device in every household, one of the biggest mistakes that parents make is providing their children a Chromebook that has zero restrictions.
Today, we’re going to talk about the most basic restriction you can add – blocking unsafe websites. The good news is that learning how to block specific websites on Chromebook is very possible. The bad news is that it’s not as simple as flicking a switch. Fortunately for you, we have developed a method to get you started.
Also read: How To Block YouTube On Chromebook
What do you need to start blocking unwanted websites?
When it comes to blocking websites, we have a few options to choose from. But all of them have the same prerequisites. Here’s what you need:
- • A Google Account of the family member/user in question
- • A smartphone (if applicable)
it’s time to learn how to block unwanted URLs on your family’s Chromebook.
How to Block Specific Websites on Chromebook Managed by an Organization
One of the perks of using G-Suite is the ability to streamline restrictions to multiple devices. To restrict access to certain URLs, make sure that you are the administrator of the organization. Once that is established, simply follow these steps:
- Log in to G-Suite and navigate Device Management > Chrome Management > User Settings
- Search for Content and navigate to URL Blocking > URL Blacklist
- Input the following URLs or websites you want to restrict access to using the text field.
- Close tab/window once done. The restrictions should work in real-time
How to Block Specific Websites on Chromebook using Child Account
Parents of Chromebook and Android users can add additional security to their children’s accounts with the help of the Family Link app. This is arguably the easiest method to block specific websites off your kids’ Chromebooks.
Here’s how to use it:
- Download the Family Link app on your phone or Chromebook
- Create an account and link in your Child’s account using the help wizard
- Restrict URL access by checking the user’s Account Settings. Click on “Allow only certain sites”
- Click on “Manage Sites” and add the websites you want to be blocked
How to Block Specific Websites on Chromebook using Extensions
If your device isn’t handled by an organization, the best option on how to block specific websites on Chromebook will be via Chrome extensions. There are two very interesting plugins you can use as of this writing: Block Site and JustBlock Security. Which one suits your needs? Find out more below.
Block Site is an extension available for all platforms (Windows, macOS and Chrome OS). This handy plugin is packed with features that can help you with work and productivity, as well as scheduling and time management.
This is perfect for users who get easily distracted with non-essential websites. Here’s how to use it.
- Search for Block Site – Website Blocker for Chrome on the Chrome Webstore. Hit “Add to Chrome” button
- The process will redirect you to a new window once the extension is added. Enter the web address that you want to block in this new window.
- All of the URLs you have blocked will be displayed on the Block Sites Tab. If you want to remove a recently-blocked website, just hit on the red icon on the right.
JustBlock Security is another highly-recommended security suite for Chromebook users. It is an antivirus and anti-malware plug-in that comes with its own URL filtering feature. We highly recommend learning the ropes since this is an all-in-one security package for your browser.
If you are just looking for the basic protection from malicious and adult websites, here’s what you need to do:
- Add JustBlock Security to your extensions. Once added, a new window will appear
- On the security tab, enable “Protect your Safety” by hitting on the toggle switch on the right
- On the Privacy tab, enable “Block Adult Content” by hitting via the toggle switch
Which URL Blocker Suits Your Needs?
We’re confident enough to say that either one of these extensions and apps can provide restricted website access. However, if you want more advanced features and better protection, then you’ll have to cough up some dough for in-app purchases and subscriptions. Two of the extensions we’ve recommended contain in-app purchases. Let’s explore what they can offer:
- Instant Block by Category – Do you want to block access to adult content and web-based games? This will do it with one click!
- Customize your Block Screen – You can edit and customize the images and texts when you enter a restricted URL
- Unlimited Blocking List – Block as many websites you want with ease!
- Advanced Threat Defense – The most advanced anti-virus extension you can get for Chrome
- Protection up to 20 Computers – Say goodbye to internet vulnerability with the elite package
- Complete Data Protection – Best protection against malware, ransomware, as well as the newest viruses and exploits
- More than just a URL blocker – Block unwanted sites, pop-ups and malware right from the get-go
If you find any of these features to be useful for you and your family, then we highly recommend to make the purchase. The peace of mind that these services can bring is worth the asking price. Now you can leave your kids to their computers unattended!
Blocking websites and URLs with Chromebook has never been this easy! We believe that the suggestions we have provided will make it the process more convenient as ever. Do take note that both extensions we have provided have in-app purchases. Be sure to check out what else they can do.
Now that you know how to block specific websites on Chromebook, be sure to check out our other Chromebook tips and tricks found on our website.