- Can you record audio using the Chromebook?
- Is there an audio recorder for Chromebook?
- Can I make music with a Chromebook?
These are arguably the most common questions creative people on a budget would love to know. If you’re looking for an audio recorder for Chromebook, the good news is that there are plenty to choose from. However, finding one that will suit your needs can be quite interesting and frustrating at the same time. Fortunately, we’ve come up with a list to narrow down your options.
In this article, we’re going to cover different types of recording apps and Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) that can help get your creative juices flowing. We’ll also cover the pros and cons of each program and whether it’s something worth using. The only thing you need to be ready for is to lay down the ideas you have stuck in your head.
- 7 Best Audio Editors for Chromebook
- 10 Best Video Editors For Chromebook
- 5 Best Video Players For Chromebook
5 Audio Recorders for Chromebook – Basic and Professional Edition
Audio Recorder Chromebook – Basic Edition
Soundcloud (Web-Based, Chrome OS)
- Record and upload recordings directly to their website
- Sharing made easy – share instantly with a press of a button
- Accessible on all platforms
- Very limited in terms of features
- Occasional crashes when recording according to some users
Soundcloud.com is arguably one of the pioneers in terms of sharing musical ideas and songs across the web. Uploading tracks via Soundcloud is very straightforward – hit the record button and go nuts. Once done, press stop and listen. While the features may pale in comparison compared to the other apps we’re going to feature, if all you need is to record something not longer than 180 minutes, then this is the platform for you.
Reverb Record (Web-Based, Chrome Extension, Chrome OS)
- Instantly record and share your voice notes
- No account registrations and verifications needed
- Share your notes via shareable links (can also be embedded on Twitter)
- Privacy – the data you share can be collected and used by others
If you are looking for a different way to share your thoughts and ideas on social media platforms and forums, then Reverb Record is perfect for you. What makes this a viable audio recorder for Chromebook is its ease of use, accessibility, and practicality. If you want to make a quick note-to-self, simply open the site or extension and record away.
Be sure to save your link to access it again in the future. While the only downside is what happens to the data that they would collect from you especially when privacy is concerned, there won’t be much negative impact if you’re just looking for quick reminders… just make sure not to record personal or sensitive data!
Mic Note – Voice Recorder & Notepad (Web-Based, Chrome OS)
- Multitasking made easy – record and write simultaneously
- Sync and share with Google Drive, Dropbox, as well as via hyperlink
- Can be used for audio transcriptions
- Maximum of 10-minute audio recordings for free users
- Best features are locked via in-app purchases
If you’re looking for a barebone audio recorder that can also act as your notepad, then Mic Note is a very good option. It’s easy to use, it has additional great features – assuming you pay for it – and exporting your work is very convenient. While the downside is paying for extra services, the basic feature will give you 10 minutes of recording time – perfect for very short song ideas or notes.
Audio Recorder Chromebook – Professional Edition
Song Maker (Android, Chrome OS, Windows)
- Perfect DAW for beginners
- Good selection of Music Library
- Record, edit and modify with ease
- Experience may vary depending on Chromebook
- Noticeable delay when recording audio (when playback monitoring is turned on)
- A subscription is needed to access advanced features and samples
Song Maker is probably the only DAW that you can use for Chromebook that’s free of charge. It’s a music maker, music editor, and mixer all-in-one delightful package… assuming you want to avail of the total package. For basic music creation, the app will allow you to record and edit on-the-fly – enough to get you started right.
Perfect for recording drafts and song ideas wherever you may be. Should you decide to dive further into its advanced features, then prepare to learn new ways to mold the music based on your preferences.
FL Studio Mobile (Android, Chrome OS, iOS)
- The most complete DAW for Chromebook
- Packed with features that are also used with the desktop version
- Continue where you left off – open and edit your project across different platforms with ease
- Not free
- Not recommended for beginners and casual users
FL Studio Mobile is probably the best DAW you can use for your Chromebook, especially if you are serious about music production. Everything you need is here: record and import tracks, edit and modify audio to your liking, add and subtract layers, and more. One big downside is that the app isn’t free. However, if you know how to best utilize what you’re paying for, then it’s a small price to pay for something that can revolutionize the way you use your Chromebook.
Our Audio Recorder Chromebook Recommendation
We believe that a good audio recorder for Chromebook should be able to capture the ideas running through your mind without having to do too many steps. For quick audio notes, we highly recommend Reverb Record as it’s as straightforward as it can get. If privacy is a concern, then Soundcloud can help protect your creations with relative ease.
As for the aspiring music producers, we highly recommend FL Studio Mobile for audio recording and music-making simply because the app is well-made and it’s very intuitive for users. With the help of an actual keyboard plus touchscreen integration, we believe that this is the best way to maximize your Chromebook’s potential.